Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Steady Diet of Nothing


I don't know much about art or photography. I'll never claim to. I do, however, know what I like, and who I think is good. One such artist is the photographer Glen E. Friedman. A few years ago when I was residing in LA, I had the great honor to go to an opening for his Idealist show at at a the gallery Sixspace. His photos run the gammut of pop culture, and the opening was a spectacle. The high point for me was while trying to move onto the next picture, literally running into Guy Picciotto from Fugazi. I of course knew who he was, he did not know me...there were people who basically WERE the scene, as far as Dogtown goes. Watching Red Hot Chilli Pepper John Frucainte guitarist haggle with Friedman about a Jay Adams pool shot was also pretty sweet...needless to say, it is a night I'll never forget.

No comments: