Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Crunch Of Snow Under Tires


Riding in the winter is what you make of it. The last couple of days the temp as dropped drastically again, and riding has once again become a chore. It isn't so easy to just grab your bike and hop on to go for a ride. There is the layering of clothing, the extra lubricant for the bike. Studded tires and LED lights have become essential for survival as black ice and darkness shroud most rides. Last night the cold air burned my lungs as I headed down town for a dinner. It was one of those nights where all of a sudden, 10 minutes into the ride, I realized how quiet it was
as I floated on an inch of fresh powder. The untouched lawns were like an empty canvass...streching into the darkness. Fitness seems so far away. I long for those days when shorts and flip flops are all the clothing I need for a night spin...

1 comment:

Moxie said...

AMEN! I love that in the summer there is no preparation to walk outside, you don't even think about it. Those are the good days that we have to remember in February in Marquette when we question our choice of location...

hd