Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Where We Live II


If you are a regular reader of the Snot Rocket, you'll know that beyond bikes, transportation and barley pop, my interests sometimes ramble to the design of human dwellings. In past posts, I've talked about yurts and earthships. Recently,I was reading an essay in the latest issue of Dwell Magazine about the pending demolition of the Nakagin Capsule Tower in Tokyo. I did an internet search for it, and ended up spending several hours looking at some pretty interesting housing developments from the past that had the future in mind. The photo at the top of the post is of Habitat in Montreal. Pretty wild, eh?
A couple of years ago, I was borderline obsessed with buying a plastic dome from Dome Village out in LA when they closed it down. The domes were sold off on E-Bay for around $3K, and had about 350 square feet of living space. Small, but it is more about a mindset I think than stuff. What do we really need?
Finally, I came across Container City which really piqued my interest as I'm in shipping containers a couple of times a month, and I know you could get your hands on one for pretty cheap. When you get a few minutes, check some of these places out. And if you know of some others, let me know.

1 comment:

fomenter said...

I like where your head's at. I'm familiar with the shipping container as living unit concept. Interesting that this proposed development in Denmark is "designed to resemble shipping containers". http://archrecord.construction.com/news/OnTheBoards/0804lighthouse.asp
Those Danes are always on top of things.